Adobe Illustrator is a leading vector image editing application, made even better because of its plug-in platform, which allows illustrators to customize the program according to their needs. Currently there are plug-ins that fit almost any requirement you might have. The following are 10 very popular plug-ins used by graphic designers.
1. Art Files made for Mac – This is a collection of files that makes keeping track of documents, linked images and fonts easy, allowing users to “Point and Click” to select objects. This plug-in supports Illustrator versions 8, 9 and 10 for Mac computers.
2. Artlandia LivePresets -This plug-in works for both Mac and Windows users. It allows you to insert patterns and symbols that can be edited. Any artwork you link updates interactively.
3. FlexoStepX – This is a quicker way of repeating the steps and fixing mistakes in label packaging artwork.
4. Hot Door Perspective– Allows users to make realistic compositions with oblique,
isometric objects placed over an adjustable background grid.
5. FoldUP! 3D– This plug-in allows an illustrator to test packaging designs digitally, eliminating the need to create a 3 dimensional test prototype.
6. Live Pen – Gives you interesting typography and calligraphy options. This plugin is only available for Illustrator CS, CS2 and CS3.
7. LogoSource -This is a collection of tracing and guide tools that help you edit scanned images.
8. Vector Scribe-This tool helps you create and edit curve handles. It improves on illustrators measuring abilities.
9. Path Styler Pro – This plug-in uses paths to make beleveled images that don’t need to be softened.
10. Virtual Mirror Vector Studio – These are 8 tools that include shape editing, texturing, and color editing abilities.
So we’ve had a look at a good number of popular plugins used by designers working with Adobe Illustrator. Most importantly though its essential to learn the various Illustrator features & how they work. Futuretrend’s Adobe Illustrator training courses provides a good option to help you get started in your quest. Just like you have to learn how to change gears, push on the gas pedal, control the steering, switch on the AC & the fan, etc. in a car, you have to invest some time in learning how features work in Illustrator works before you start experimenting with plugins that can add some serious 00mph! to your work.